Wednesday, December 07, 2005

On Dry Spells.....

Recently I became aware of the fact that I hadn't written anything in a while or for that matter anything else other than work, sleep and swim. Today with much warning and fanfare, a coldness not felt in these parts for more than several years came blasting in and reminded me of other things. It seems that the dryness that comes with extreme cold and heating(of the home) always starts to affect me. Now that I am swimming nearly every day this become increasingly pronounced. I realized my reading has also slipped way back and my bible study is just a thought Sunday morning as I prepare for Mass. For that matter my prayer life has gotten to a sloppy prayer at bedtime and the occasional prayer during a peticular dangerous part of my workday.
Sometimes I wonder if I really get everything I'm supposed to? I mean if God really did all that he did and gave us his Son then why am I not constantly begging for forgiveness and beating my chest for mercy? Thanksgiving reminds us what we should be thankful for and advent prepares us for the coming of the Lord. Why then do I bask skillfully in the doldrums of idleness? Why can't I break free from all this monotony and fly headlong into my future knowing what I know? Seasons are God's way of taking the monotony out and refreshing our soul if we can break out of our shell long enough to become aware of it. You see I jumped onto the easy path where all is okay and everything is comfy and normal. It takes a lot of concentration to meditate the rosary at night because I'm tired and don't feel like it . My studies forgotten because it is easier to come into the comforts and not bother with such tedious work as contemplating next weeks readings. An icy push is the wake up call, remember hell will be like dry ice burning and freezing you for all eternity. God's love is warm and inviting, remember that next time you walk in from the cold and thank God for heat.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chloe' Gardner said...

You are so correct... So many times, I've found myself heading in that direction. I haven't taken the time with my prayers that I know I should, and feel so badly about it. And being thankful, we need to remember that all year long :0)

Glad you're back! I've missed you!

10:06 PM  
Blogger Criminal Minds Fan said...

You have a way with words. :)

12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home