Saturday, December 17, 2005

Are we inside the box or out????

Recently my daughter and I went to see yet another movie that just came out. My daughter of 12 seems to talk a lot better (to ME) when we are alone in a theatre full of people. There is definitely something surreal about the isolation in the center of movie, I mean were else can you experience the beauty of being a father while enjoying a living book encompassing life. The book is one by C.S. Lewis basically about experiencing true life Outside ( or in this case Inside) the box. We had previously seen Harry Potter 4 together( another book) which in essence deals with the same subject. Belief and magic have to go had in hand. Do you believe in magic? There is both good and bad existing here and now, standing side by side. Now I'm not saying that the things going on in either movie are true and real, but the message that comes out is basically the same. How can we as humans possibly grasp the concept of a virgin birth, the resurrection, and the trinity, not to mention the bread and wine becoming the true presence of our Lord Jesus if we don't believe?
Granted the C.S. Lewis epic is far more compatible with our Christian presence and illustrates the mystery of sacrifice in a unique way. They both present the mystery that things happen that cannot be explained and are referred to as magic. If that is the best word we have to conform our adult minds to that concept then I say go with it. We could all use a little childish wonder when we worship. If these movies get us in touch with those feelings of wonder than I say they were more than worth seeing. The next time you walk past a wardrobe or for that matter a lone boot take the time to thank God for the ability to let reason pass you by once and awhile and enjoy the scenery, it may just save you.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chloe' Gardner said...

You're so right! I had never honestly thought about it that way, but it's so true. Everyone can use a little "magic" in that sense in their lives!

God Bless! :0)

12:36 AM  
Blogger Bare said...

Doug, I just wanted you to know, it's time for me to come clean- and live. Please keep me in your prayers. You've supported me from day one, and that's meant more than you'll ever know.

Now, I'm having to live in reality, "living in a fantasy"- hid the pain for awhile, but now, it's time to heal. God Bless you- you're a great person

6:54 PM  
Blogger Chloe' Gardner said...

PS: I'm back. You knew I couldn't stay away for long.

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home